Wednesday 17 August 2016

Pre-Transplant preparations complete - check.

Last Thursday Jen and I went to MRI for a series of pre-transplant checks and a consultation with the transplant doctor to sign consent forms etc..

The checks involved a number of blood tests, swabs, ECG and chest X-Ray. The main purpose being  to make sure I am fit enough to go ahead with the procedure as well as making sure I am not carrying any infection that would compromise me or any other patient.

The consultation with the doctor went into detail about the procedure, I'll be having high dose chemotherapy followed by receiving some of the stem cells that were taken from me on the 26th July. Each stage of the process involved signing a consent form.

I was then given a tour of the ward where I will stay in isolation until I'm fit enough to return home.

So other than a final trip to MRI this Friday (19th August) to have a chemo line fitted that's all the pre-transplant stuff done.

I will be admitted to MRI as an inpatient on Monday 22nd August when I will receive another course of high dose chemo this will be known as Day -1

The following day, Day 0, I will receive around 2 million of my own stem cells back via my chemo line.

The clock then starts ticking in terms of how quickly my blood counts return to a level where I am safe to go home. I will be in complete isolation, restricted to only 2 visitors a day, visitors that have to wear a gown and gloves before entering my room. Unfortunately children under the age of 16 cannot come onto the ward so I won't be able to see the children for the duration of my stay in hospital.

So I'm currently making practical preparations - updating my iPod with new tunes, making sure I've got headphones, puzzle books, reading material etc.... As well as toiletries, PJs etc

I've got a fridge in my room but I reckon having Captain Morgan along for the journey might be a bridge too far.

I'll update my blog from hospital so people can keep up to date with my progress and not feel like they are mithering Jen.

However as a final footnote I would like to draw your attention to a group of friends who are running the Wigan 10k on Sunday 5th September in aid of Myeloma UK. I did intend running too, however it's clear I won't be fit enough to do it, if I'm even out of hospital at that time.

They are truly a great bunch who have been training for a while (and sustaining injuries in doing so) so any donations would be very very welcome.

www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Steven-Martlew1

No comments:

Post a Comment