Thursday 25 August 2016

Ho Ho Ho (not so Jolly) Green Giant

Following Monday's high dose chemotherapy I received my stem cells back on Tuesday. It was a bit of anti-climax to be honest - 6 months chemotherapy, high dose chemotherapy x2, stems cell harvest to be given my cells back in a 15 minute transfusion. I'm not complaining, some people have to have 20 bags of transfusions over 2 days, my cells were so concentrated that I only needed 1 bag which is quite rare. I like being rare.

The preservative they use when freezing the stem cells after harvest results in a sweetcorn taste and smell during and after the transfusion. Jen says I smell like the Jolly Green Giant!!!

I was admitted onto ward 44 on Wednesday morning and have a room with a view of the atrium which is where Manchester Royal Eye Hospital is. It's great for people watching.

I'm in isolation with strict restrictions on me and people entering my room/visitors etc.. and I am incredibly bored - as those who follow me on various forms of social media will testify - their timelines will be full of my postings and retweets - sorry 😕

My blood counts are expected to start to drop from today and I will become poorly over the weekend as the Melphalan chemotherapy wipes my immune system out. Then my system will begin to build up again - a sort of reboot of my bone marrow - and hopefully I will improve enough to go home.

I remain positive and keep telling myself it's a short term pain for a long term gain. I know I am lucky and I do think about people who were close to me who have lost the battle with cancer. Ward 44 in particular brings back difficult memories.

Thanks for all your messages of support - it is overwhelming the number of messages I have received.

I will update when there is something to update about. In the meantime have a lovely Bank Holiday Weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment