Tuesday 16 October 2012

Grassroots League Tables

This weekend I got into an online debate about league tables for grassroots football. The guy who I was debating with was complaining that a team his sons team had beaten that week (their first win of the season) had subsequently dropped down a division and as a result his team wouldn't see the 3 points they won and remain rooted to the bottom of their division.

He went onto complain that that this would be demoralising and that the lads would be disappointed. I worked out that we are talking about under 10 s football.

The point I tried to make was that you didn't need a table to tell you that his team had made improvements from the last game which they lost. It's only the obsession of parents and some misguided coaches that become fixated with league position, promotion, relegation etc..

My question is does a league table really matter?

I've coached the Greens for 3 seasons - they are now under 9s. When I first started coaching them some players struggled to kick a ball. One player in particular has struggled, however because he plays every week (each of my players gets a guaranteed 25 minutes football each week) he has now blossomed into a super little footballer. This week he dropped his shoulder and passed the ball with his left foot. A real sign that this player is confident and has grown in ability. He asked me after the game "Steve, did you see me pass it with my left foot?" That was the highlight of his game, not the result.

I don't need a league table to measure improvement - I coach the team each week and I can see the improvement that this player and all my other players make. All a league table shows me is where my group of players is in relation to the other groups of players in the same division.

I never refer to the table either in training or at a match. I would guess that 90% of my players don't know a table exists, they wouldn't care because win, lose or draw within 5 minutes of a game ending, they are chasing each other round and being little boys. They've enjoyed playing with their mates - end of story.

So, should we not just do away with tables? By not having tables it allows teams to play other teams of similar ability each week without the straight jacket of that particular division. It also continually tests teams allowing them to develop at their own pace. It will enable players to play with freedom and to try things they wouldn't dare too if it risks losing points! Play from the back? "Don't do that there son, get rid of it"

Finally I am convinced it will be a major factor in improving parent and coach behaviour on the sidelines, after all if there isn't 3 points at stake, where is the fire?

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe I've read your first blog and I have had a similar conversation with a guy in the gym tonight. He runs a under 8s team in Haydock. A few parents have had a go at him over the weekend saying that he is not picking the best team to win. He has told them he's not there to pick a team for the win. He's there for the kids to enjoy it and develop. Says too many of the parents too interested in the results rather than the kids having fun. As with your analogy once the game is over the kids are playing on park swings after. Don't give two hoots about the result, just want to have fun whilst some parents take the opposite view.

    ReplyDelete