Sunday 2 December 2012

2 steps forward, 3 steps back

Its been a busy couple of weeks, hence no blog.

The week before last I took the week off and redecorated the children's bedrooms. We also had Sky TV installed in each of their rooms as part of an early Christmas present.

Last week was busy at work. I am trying to develop a training programme to reach 2000+ tenants before April 2013. The training programme is in 2 strands - encouraging people to GET Online or Money Management Training and is part of our wider approach to readying tenants for the Welfare Reforms.

So I spent a lot of time in schools and Children's Centres looking at possibilities of training venues out in the Community. It was really interesting visiting schools in different areas and seeing their different approach to school life.

Thursday was Jens birthday and to say its been a rotten year for her is a bit of an understatement. I wanted to try and make it a special day and show her how grateful I am for her unstinting support. The children bought her a new coat and thermal gloves (great timing) and I bought her 2 tickets to watch one of her favourite bands, The Courteeners, in Manchester this Friday 7th December. They are one of my favourites too and so I hope she invites me!!!!!

I have also asked her sister Alison, to pick the children up from school that day and so the plan is to go into Manchester in the afternoon for a few beers and something to eat, then to the gig then last train home.

We don't get a lot of time on our own and so I hope we have a great day and it shows her how much I love her.

On Friday we went to Manchester Royal Infirmary for a monthly check up. As well as current blood levels they also had the results of my skeletal survey which I had done in early November. Unfortunately there is some cause of concern around my pelvis and my skull with irregularities which could be lesions. This is where the Myeloma sort of overflows from the bones and attacks them from the outside. It is usually accompanied by bone pain. So I have been referred for an MRI scan at MRI (confusing I know) and then back to see the consultant on the 21st December.

This is frustrating on a couple of levels. I have had pelvic pain for the last 18 months and complained to Wigan about it but after an xray they simply put it down to general wear and tear of a 40 year old. The consultant radiologist at MRI says it isn't wear and tear at all!!!

The second frustration is that after gearing ourselves up for Chemotherapy in October and then to be told that Chemo wont start I'll just be monitored, to be then told you may need Chemo again is like 2 steps forward 3 steps back.

I suppose that's what fighting cancer is all about. You have ups and downs. I know of 3 former colleagues of mine that have been struck down with a cancer of some sort in the last 3 weeks. 2 of them were in remission and they probably feel like its 20 steps back not just 3!!

It is what it is - my approach to life, family, work, football, cricket and music won't change. I'm still the same person and will approach it with the same determination and a bit of humour too. You do have to laugh. As a colleague of Jens says "You should have at least one good belly laugh a day". How True.

Am looking forward to another busy week this week. Lots more school visits and a service planning day with the Director, Group Managers and Service Managers on Thursday.

Then on Friday a day out with my best friend. Can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. Have a great day out on Friday Steve. You both need to recharge your batteries and get back to the fight - you are both so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sian - we will try our best xx

    ReplyDelete